Tooth-colored fillings are made of a composite resin that blends naturally with your teeth, so your filling is inconspicuous and doesn’t detract from the beauty of your smile. Amalgam (metal) fillings were once routinely used by dentists, and many patients are unhappy with their appearance or even experience health problems caused by metal allergies. In addition to placing new restorations, Dr. Hada can replace your older, amalgam fillings with composite fillings.
Call Us Today 949-951-1067
Schedule An Appointment
Monday 8:00 am–5:00 pm
Tuesday 9:00 am–6:00 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am–5:00 pm
Thursday 7:00 am–4:00 pm
Friday 7:00 am–1:00 pm
Restore and Complement Your Natural Smile with Tooth-colored Fillings
Dental fillings are the most effective way to repair mild to moderate tooth decay. Fillings can return a tooth to its normal shape and function, stop existing decay, and deter new bacteria from growing. Dr. Richard K. Hada offers tooth-colored fillings at his Mission Viejo, CA, practice. Tooth-colored fillings provide natural-looking protection to the tooth, without affecting its strength. Contact us today for more information on how tooth-colored fillings can help improve your smile.
Tooth-colored vs. Amalgam Fillings
While there are many materials available for your dental fillings, Dr. Hada recommends tooth-colored fillings, also known as composite resin or resin fillings. This material offers many advantages over silver or amalgam fillings:
- Stronger Teeth: The metal in silver fillings is highly sensitive to temperature changes and may expand or shrink when exposed to hot or cold foods. This can weaken a tooth’s structure, making it more prone to future damage. Since resin fillings lack any metal components, they do not compromise the strength of your tooth.
- Long-lasting Solution: Rather than being placed on top of the cavity, tooth-colored fillings are bonded directly to the enamel. This provides a more secure, durable, and longer-lasting restoration.
- More Natural Smile: Amalgam fillings are often immediately noticeable in a person’s smile because of their dark metallic color. Composed of a clear glass or quartz mixture, tooth-colored fillings smoothly blend in with your natural teeth.
- Metal-free: Silver fillings contain well within the legal amount of mercury, but many patients still worry about the potential effects. Tooth-colored fillings exclude mercury altogether, eliminating a troublesome concern for patients.
- No Risk of Allergic Reaction: While allergies to amalgam fillings are rare, their effects are comparable to an uncomfortable skin rash. No patients have reported allergic reactions to composite fillings.
If you have been considering the removal of your amalgam fillings, Dr. Hada is highly skilled and experienced in the process of replacing traditional restorations with new composite resin fillings. He can determine whether this option is right for you during an evaluation.
Placing a Filling
Preparing the tooth and placing a filling is straightforward, normally not lasting more than one hour. Dr. Hada will begin by describing what to expect and taking preparatory x-rays, if needed. He will then administer a local anesthetic to help minimize discomfort during the procedure. Next, we will remove the decayed portion of the tooth with a dental instrument and clean the area to ensure that no debris or bacteria are still present.
Once the cavity is prepared for the filling, we will select the shade of composite resin that most closely matches your tooth color. Then, before attaching the filling to the tooth, Dr. Hada will score the surface of the treatment area. Referred to as etching, this process creates a rough surface that enables the composite resin to bond more securely with the enamel. The filling is then placed over the cavity in layers and is hardened with a special lamp. After the resin has dried, your filling will be shaped and polished until it blends in with the tooth.
Once the procedure is complete, your restored tooth will be immediately functional. You may experience mild discomfort or soreness once the numbing wears off, but this will last only a few days at most.
Contact Us Today
With patient well-being at the forefront of his approach, Dr. Hada strives to provide you with high quality and honest service. To learn more about how tooth-colored fillings can improve your oral health, schedule an appointment today. During a consultation, Dr. Hada can also answer any questions you have about replacing your amalgam fillings.